Medical coders are important members of the revenue cycle team at healthcare facilities. You will become an expert in diagnostic and procedural coding of patient health records for diagnoses, procedures, billing, and claim processing. Learn to critically assess coding assignments and ensure accuracy and compliance with coding compliance guidelines.
Graduates of the program will be prepared to begin a career in medical billing and coding in settings such as hospitals, clinics, physicians’ offices, dental offices, home health agencies, assisted care facilities, and insurance companies.
To prepare medical coders and billing experts to work in healthcare settings.
Who This Program Is For
High School Graduates
Expertise Gained in this Program*
- The US Healthcare System*
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Pathophysiology & Pharmacology
- Team Collaboration
- Computer Applications for Healthcare
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Systems
- Healthcare Compliance and Regulations (EMTALA, HIPAA, etc.)
- Data Information Processing (Data Entry Alpha/Numeric (5500kph))
- Healthcare Data Records (content, structure and integrity)
- Revenue Cycle & Reimbursement (Insurance Information Verification and Processing, payment processing, billing fundamentals)
- Happiness at Work in Healthcare
- Health Information Technologies
- Data Classification Systems
- Health Information Exchange
- Health Information & Data Analysis
- Medical Code Assignment and Review (IDC-10 Procedure Classification System)
- Advanced Medical Code Assignment and Review
- Advanced Medical & Insurance Billing Methodology
- Health Data Reporting
- Health Data Integrity & Auditing
- Health Information Governance
- Coding Practicum
- Intensive version of the program enables you to finish in as little as eight months, and the self-paced version allows you to learn online while you work
- Hands on experience in the AHIMA VirtualLab
- Coding Practicum (gives students a head-start on 6-month job-experience requirement for certification)
- Includes Data Analysis component to prepare graduates to take on evolving responsibilities
- Graduates will be prepared to sit certification exams including CPA and CPC.
* Content may be updated. Final content will be reflected in the course syllabus.