Health Information Technicians generate and maintain patient’s medical records help ensure proper treatment and insurance coverage. In this program you will demonstrate technical expertise in entering, preparing, scanning and indexing health documents and medical records. You will learn to store and release medical records in accordance with established standards, policies, procedures, regulatory and legal requirements. Gain skills in completing legal, insurance, and requests for patient information, and release of information. You will learn to analyze medical records for accuracy and completion as you prepare to fulfill an important role on the healthcare team.
To prepare Health Information Specialists serve in roles such as HIM Technician, Medical Records Clerk, Release of Information Specialist, or related position.
Who This Program Is For
High School Graduates
Expertise Gained in this Program*
- The US Healthcare System
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Pathophysiology & Pharmacology
- Team Collaboration
- Computer Applications for Healthcare
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Systems
- Healthcare Compliance and Regulations (EMTALA, HIPAA, etc.)
- Data Information Processing (Data Entry Alpha/Numeric (5500kph))
- Healthcare Data Records (content, structure and integrity)
- Revenue Cycle & Reimbursement (Insurance Information Verification and Processing, payment processing, billing fundamentals)
- Happiness at Work in Healthcare
- Health Information Technologies
- Data Classification Systems
- Health Information Exchange
- Health Information & Data Analysis
- Medical Information Collection, Management, and Release
- This program prepares students to take up entry-level roles in health information management prior to completing an associate’s degree or RHIT or RHIA credentials.
- This position offers opportunities for career growth into roles in medical coding, health information administration, and health information technology through further education.
- Job placement opportunities
- Certificate granted upon an evaluation demonstrating mastery of all course modules
* Content may be updated. Final content will be reflected in the course syllabus.